Monday, August 23, 2010

Off to Kindergarten!

Monday, August 23, 2010
This is my adorable nephew, Peter.  He lives in Georgia and will turn 6 at the end of September.  Today was his first day of Kindergarten at this school.  His dad, Michael, sent me these photos with this to say:

Attached are a few photos of Peter on his big first day of Kindergarten.  He was excited but started to get nervous as he entered the school bus!  Poor Ryan woke up later in the morning and asked for Peter  - I think it will take him a while to get used to Peter being at a new school.


Isn't he so handsome?!


It took me a few minutes after seeing the pictures that I realized... Karen and Michael did not accompany him on his first day of school!  He rode the bus by himself on his FIRST day of school!  So, of course, being the sister that I am... I called her at work and asked her.  Karen explained that they had already attended an orientation together, they had already met the teacher, Peter was quizzed many times before today on what the drill would be, and he would be fine.  He was given a name tag from his teacher with his name on it.  He would get on the bus, ride to school, get off the bus, at school he would be met by another adult who would then take him to his classroom.  Wow -- sounds so complicated!  Karen said she asked him for many nights before school started, "Who is your teacher?  What room are you in?" 

So, I was anxious to see how his first day of school went... I called at 4:30 their time (they are 3 hours ahead of CA)... and he sounded very happy!  It sounded like he had a fantastic day.  He was very happy to speak to us and said the whole day was his favorite part!  I asked him if he sat with a friend on the bus and he explained that all kindergarteners needed to sit at the front of the bus.  (Maybe he has an older friend he couldn't sit with?)  I am so proud of him!  Good for you, Peter!  I wish you a wonderful year in Kindergarten!

To update you... MG starts school the 30th... so we are in our last week of summer vacation.  I hope to get them out for a few more fun activities before she starts 2nd grade!!!!  Yikes!!!!!

blog comments powered by Disqus