Sunday, August 1, 2010

Happy 3rd Birthday Big Guy!

Sunday, August 1, 2010
Dear Ethan,
I can hardly believe that I am writing to wish you a happy 3rd birthday!  It seems impossible to me that 3 years have gone by...
(a few weeks old...August 14, 2007)
2 1/2 already...  (April, 2010)

I have seen you change so much.

Some funny things you say:
1) You had an accident one day and when I got to you and asked what happened, you said, "I waited for you my whole life, mommy."  I was upset that you had an accident but wanted to laugh when you said that! Well, waiting your whole life is a long time, I guess you just couldn't hold it anymore!
2) One morning when you and big brother woke up at Auntie Clare's house, MD came into the room where you and I were sleeping.  MD asked me a question and you responded, "Mommy is sleeping, what do you need?"  Hahaha!  So good to have you take care of me!
3)  A LOT of times when you are playing, you stop what you are doing, look my way and say, "Mommy, I need you!"  When I ask what you need me for, you reply, "To hold me!"
4)  Often times when you fall, trip, or make a mistake at something, you immediately pick yourself up and say aloud to me, "I'm okay Mommy!"  It's good to know that you can diagnosis your own injuries before coming to me or crying for me.
5)  You try very hard to be independent.  So your favorite phrase to me is, "I want to do it by my own self, Mommy!"

Your favorites:
1) the color green
2) macaroni and cheese, blueberries, strawberries, oranges, plums, watermelon, and corn
3) warm milk (not cold!)
4) chocolate milk, if you can get away with it everyday!
5) Yoda-- because he's green!
6) Andy Z's songs -- your all time favorite is the  Scarecrow one
7) playing with cars, trains, planes, puzzles
8) the blue monkey Grandma Jan gave you (which I think we lost since our return from the 4th of July camping trip)
9) going to Happy Hollow Park and Zoo and riding the merry go round
10) asking Daddy to give you a ride on his shoulders
11) reading books at the library -- your favorite are Goodnight Gorilla  and Cock-A-Doodle Moo!

Daddy says that you are definitely a momma's boy... and I have to agree!  Years from now, you may not like hearing it -- but for now, even you do not deny it!  When you need something, I have to help you.  When you need comfort, only I can be there to comfort you.  You love to cuddle with me and you love to listen to me read you stories.  You often will come up to me and hold my face in your hands.  This is how you like to speak to me -- I guess you need my undivided attention!

I notice that you can sure stand up for yourself!  When big brother takes something from you, your immediate response is to grab it back  and then shout at him, "I'm going to tell mommy!"  When big sister bosses you around, you say to her, "I'm not going to listen to you!"  Although I find it funny, I think you need to listen to her because she gives you advice to keep you out of trouble!

Ethan, you are something else!  You are mild mannered when you want to be -- but you sure are a spitfire most of the time!  We often smile when we see you behave this way (behind your back, of course -- because we don't want to encourage this type of nonsense!).  We also see that you follow your older siblings' lead, but at the same time, you know when you need to walk your own path.  I admire that most about you.

Sweetheart, thank you for all the smiles you provide on a daily basis.  Thank you for loving me so much that you find yourself "lost" when I am in the next room and out of your sight.  (Although, I must admit that it's almost suffocating sometimes!  But we're working on it!)  You are an amazing young boy.  You are very curious, polite, kind, particular about certain things, and you try to do what is best for the moment.




Happy 3rd Birthday sweet Ethan!

May you always make us laugh for all the silly things you do!  And may you continue to laugh...always!
We love you!

blog comments powered by Disqus