Wednesday, February 10, 2010

It's therapeutic!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010
(this post has been in the draft box for a week or so)

My friend, Melinda, and I decided about 5 weeks ago that we needed to do something to help us feel better about ourselves.  So, although we desperately want to drive back home, hop on the couch, and drink hot beverages after we drop off our girls at school, we decided to meet at the mall and walk instead.

Our first week was rough, we were easily tired after a few rounds.  Or mostly, we were distracted  by the new clothes in the window displays. Now, in our fifth week, we are walking 2 (or more sometimes) miles AND we are using weights to work on our arm strength.

So, why is it therapeutic? Because we talk about everything under the sun when we walk!  REALLY!  And we laugh A LOT!  I tell ya, laughter is the best medicine!

Today for instance, I went to school a bit annoyed with the principal's recent push for all students to be appropriately dressed in school uniform.  She was adamant that their pants had to be a specific color and fabric.  Their sweatshirts also had to be a solid color and could not have any sports team logos.  I am fine with the logo part... but really, it's mid year and I need to go buy a new sweatshirt that cannot be purple or pink?  Morgan is going to be so upset!  (She has been wearing her purple sweatshirt.  Apparently, teachers are asking students to take off their "non uniform" sweatshirts upon entering the classroom.)  She also went on to say that next year, because of the new classroom ratio -- 30 to 1 -- that there will be some combo classes.  She stated that due to the inevitable combo classes, parents may not make any requests for a specific teacher.  Okay -- I was upset after reading this.  Guess where she put that little note?  In a gray shaded area of the newsletter in fancy calligraphy font -- a place where we normally would just by-pass.  Intentional -- I think. Regardless, if we do stay at this school I am still planning to write a letter I don't care what she says!

Enough of that!

Honestly, I am feeling better about myself already.  I have more energy after the walk and I am more motivated to continue to do things with the boys once we get home. Yes, they stroll with me. They sit and have breakfast, play games, draw pictures, read books, etc. in the stroller.

If we did not walk every morning, I would just do things to pass the time and then hop back into the car to pick up Morgan.  Lately, Matthew and I have been doing quite a lot of reading and writing together.  He is eager to read short sentences I make up and then he is proud to read the sentences to others.  So, in the end, my energy level has helped Matthew become a better reader!

blog comments powered by Disqus