Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sweet Dreams...

Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Each night before going to bed I read to the children -- sometimes short books, but more often than not -- they choose a LONG book or we read a chapter book - a few chapters a night, that is.  Right now, we are reading James and the Giant Peach.  After I finish reading, Vince comes in to tuck them all in with me.  When he leaves, he turns off the light.  That is when we all say, "sweet dreams, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite..."
When Matthew was about 2 1/2 he added, "dream about everything good."  So ever since, we've added, "dream about everything that's good!"  (Because I have to make it as grammatically correct as possible since we say it every night!  I am still a bit annoyed that people use the apostrophe mark incorrectly!  But that can be another post.)  Lastly, I take turns saying goodnight to each of them before I "pretend" to sleep so they can fall asleep and I can leave the room!  Unfortunately, if I am having a rough day... this is when I fall asleep, wake up at midnight, shower, and then run to my own bed for a few more hours of sleep!

So, to our long days I am so happy when the lights are turned off and we say our special saying.  Every now and then we take turns saying what we hope to dream about... those can never be revealed as they are sometimes wishes (and they won't come true if I reveal them to the world!).


Alas, I can go to sleep knowing that they will be dreaming wonderful dreams... and hopefully they will dream them in their own bed!  Fingers crossed and double crossed... if not, at least I will have a few hours of deep sleep before one of them interrupts.  Who will be first tonight?!

blog comments powered by Disqus