Thursday, September 2, 2010

I should explain...

Thursday, September 2, 2010
because many of you have been asking.  I also meant to post about it after MG started school... or the same day as MG's first day, but I've been so busy with her "being" in school.  Anyway... here we go!

MD "just" turned 5.. and I am not ready to let him go.  So, when school started on August 30 for MG, no, he did not start kindergarten this year.  He "could" have, but we decided he didn't "need" to...yet!  Am I being selfish?  Maybe...  Am  I making the right choice?  I hope so!  Are we okay with the decision?  Yes, we are!  We finally just said, "Why rush him?"  Honestly, he will have so many years to be in school.  How much longer will we be able to keep him "free" from the structures of school and discipline?  Not much longer...  So in the end, we decided we would be okay and so would he.

When he begins kindergarten, we want for him to be confident and strong about the choices he makes. We want him to make better choices in general.  So an extra year to grow will benefit him in the long run.  See here.  We think that if we send him now, he will rise to the occasion and do the best he can.  However, we go back to... why rush him?  He will do fine either way -- so let me get my fill of him now when he still wants to be near me.  Right?!  ;)

He and E will begin school together in a few weeks.  He will be attending a "PreK" class, which E will be next door in a preschool class.  It is only two days a week for a few hours.  Those few hours away from me will be good for them both.  Those few hours will also allow me time to volunteer at MG's school, boys free.  It's the right thing to do!

So there you have it.  The more I speak to more parents about this, the more  I feel "right" about this choice.  We are looking at MD as an individual - separate from MG and E.  He, as an individual child, will soar once he starts Kindergarten.  But until he starts... we will enjoy his goofy personality a bit longer!  :)

blog comments powered by Disqus