Sunday, September 19, 2010

Our Weekend

Sunday, September 19, 2010
was very simple... and definitely needed.
Sometimes I feel like we are all over the place and I am always trying to catch my breathe!  Do you  feel that way?  So this weekend, I had a few activities in mind, but I did not hold myself to them in case the children had other plans.  We sort of went with the flow...  (I finally finished the wedding I've been working on - yahoo!  Coffee is my new best friend!)

Our favorite activities were from today -- reading our books, playing games, and completing a fall art projects.  I saw this project here and HAD to try it with the children!  It reminded me of projects I did in elementary school -- remember the ones where you flattened out flowers, waited for them to dry, then ironed them between wax papers and made bookmarks out of them for Mother's Day?!

It looked simple enough... but shaving the crayons with scissors was a bit harder than I expected.  M&M did their best but E got a bit frustrated.  I was not worried he would cut his fingers because the scissors I gave him are pretty dull.  Regardless, it was a difficult task for him.  Even MD had a hard time shaving fast enough for his normal pace so towards the end he asked for my help.

MG was not getting the results she wanted.  She wanted to do so many colors but didn't know if she could handle the scrapping much longer!  In the end, she stuck with 3 colors.
This is E's -- with my help.
Then we ironed !  After E's I realized that all I had to do was put the hot on and take it off -- not really iron the wax papers! The crayons melted in no time!
After the wax papers cooled off, they traced their leaves....

Then cut.
He had to try it out too!
Then we took it a step further...  I always like to incorporate writing whenever I can!
So they each took a word and wrote it out:  "Fall is Here"
Then we hung the leaves on their bedroom window!  I thought it turned out so nice!
After reading a few chapters of Magic Tree House, we played a game of Scrabble.  We didn't follow the rules exactly.  We just made sure that the words we put together were actual words!  This is the same game from my childhood -- yes, of course my mom still had it!  She keeps "almost" everything!  They did fairly well.  M&M were on the same team.  They each had their own tiles, but they helped each other out.  MD mostly made 3 and 4 letter words.
He disappeared while MG was making her word and came back with this can.  It's the can I made for him full of kindergarten sight words.  He felt they would be helpful to him.  By all means, use your resources!  We use this can at least a couple of times a week to see what words he can read on his own.  Each time we play, he chooses a color and we only read those color words.
This little one stayed with us through most of the game but got bored quickly...  Although he always finds things to do to entertain himself!  He's being a fierce dinosaur her!  (Although I won't ruin it for him and let him know that he's too cute to be fierce!)  
That was out weekend... hope you had a great one too!  Next weekend will not be this quiet... a birthday party is on the calendar and a possible outing to Half Moon Bay?!  We also have a few gifts to work on for Cousin Peter who is turning 6 soon!!!!

blog comments powered by Disqus